I was invited by Dave Brock, who accepted Anthony Iannarino’s tag to write a blog post on “This is How I Work.” The idea is based on Lifehacker’s This Is How I Work Series.
Here are the other sales experts participating in this series, so far:
Anthony Iannarino (He tagged Charlie Green.)
Charlie Green (Charlie tagged Dave Brock.)
Dave Brock (Dave tagged me! Yes, Dave, I do live in a cool place.)
Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, in the town of West Tisbury.
Dell XPS in my office. Macbook Air in my residence, iPhone 5S, iPad Air, Kindle Paperwhite
What Apps/software/tools can’t I live without?
- I live in Microsoft Outlook. Run it on my Mac as well.
- Evernote. Getting deeper into it.
- LinkedIn. I will always look up someone on LinkedIn before I call them on the phone.
- Hootsuite for posting to Twitter and LinkedIn. (I post to Google+ manually.)
- Dropbox. All my files, on whichever device I’m using at the moment.
- Google Drive: I share files with my clients.
- GoToMeeting/Webinar: I use this for client meetings with or without video, and of course webinars.
- NY Times Crossword App. I do the NY Times every day.
- Words with Friends.
- Grocery IQ.
- Real Racer 3. (Yes, really.)
- Facebook. I only use this for friends and family. Had a few bad experiences with clients.
- Roboform. For keeping all my computer-generated passwords safe and available on every device.
- I reluctantly use Skype to communicate with international clients or when I am travelling out of the U.S. Quality always seems to be bad.
- iTunes Match. I’ve got 9,000 tracks or so. They’re available on all my devices.
- Facetime for staying in touch with my daughters and my grandkids.
What’s my workspace like?
- ESR is a small virtual corporation. I work from my home in an office overlooking a 648-acre wildlife preserve. My dogs often visit when I’m working, although we have to keep them outside (sheltered) when I’m delivering webinars.
- I tend to have a cluttered desk and office.
- My very fast Dell XPS has two 24″ ASUS LCD monitors.
What’s my best time-saving shortcut/life hack?
- Whatever it is, do it right the first time, so you don’t have to do it again.
What everyday thing am I better at than everyone else?
- I have a very good memory for facts, figures, and trivia.
What do I listen to while I work?
- Nothing. Having been a university-trained professional musician earlier in my life, I get deeply drawn in to everything I listen to from a technical as well as aesthetic perspective. If I had music playing in my office, I would get nothing done.
What am I currently reading?
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943, Volume One of the Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson
- Three upcoming books by sales experts. I’ll be writing one forward and two endorsements.
What’s my sleep routine like?
- In bed by 9:30, read for an hour or two, do the next day’s NY Times Crossword, then sleep. Usually up at 7:00, unless I have calls with Europe.
What’s the best advice I’ve ever received?
- “Fly the plane!” That was given to my by my flight instructor. When something goes wrong, which it has for me a few times up there, remembering to fly the plane likely saved my life.
- “Take a class in yoga.” My older daughter told me that 13 years ago. Been practicing ever since. I attend four classes a week.
- “Start your own business.” My friend Larry Berk, years ago.
Fill In The Blank:
I’d love to see ___Jill Konrath___ answer these questions. Hopefully she’ll take me up on this and keep the ball rolling.