I plead guilty to enjoying a cold beer or two, and I’ve watched with amazement as the decade-long bull market in the craft beer industry shows no signs of abating.
By Neil Mahoney
Just about every business, be it product or service, has two or three market areas and segments that account for most of that industry’s sales—in dollars, units, or otherwise. This phenomenon is so well established and universal that it’s been given a name: “Pareto’s Curve.” It’s named after an Italian mathematician who many years ago discovered that 20 percent of the population had 80 percent of the wealth.
In Marketing it’s very important to remember that Pareto’s Curve is not a rule, but a rule of thumb. It’s also sometimes called the “20- 80 rule” or a hockey stick, because the curve runs oh-so-slightly upward for about 80 percent of the distance along the X-axis, then bends sharply upward for the remaining 20 percent of the distance. Using Pareto’s Curve you can identify the really important segments of any market—the ones that account for the lion’s share of the business.
Very few markets or market segments follow Pareto’s Curve exactly, but it’s used by professionals to depict big market opportunities they know exist—or most likely exist. From these, market planners formulate strategies and programs by identifying likely prospects and prioritizing their wants and needs in order to develop strong, persuasive sales messages—as well as determining the most effective, efficient ways to reach and serve them.
What’s more, you often can identify related segments that you can sidestep into to launch a product or increase sales at greatly reduced effort or expense. Here’s one good example:
The Market-Segment Sidestep: Finding the sweet spots for hand tools and hardware
A manufacturer of precision measuring equipment, which included hand tools such as micrometers and calipers that are used in manufacturing, decided to enter the large and complex hardware market. It was evident:
By studying the market more closely, they decided market segmentation might hold the key to success—both in the long and short term. In the retail hand-tool market, there are three major segments:
Conclusion: Pros are the key to the company’s side-step strategy.
Because the company already served the manufacturing pros in the industrial sector, it not only had a good reputation for top quality and durability, it also had solid distribution among contractor supply houses. Good market research and market segmentation helped assure its success by sidestepping into the contractor pro market segment.
Executing the Market-Segment Sidestep
To identify your best opportunities for executing the sidestep you need good market research—guessing won’t do it. There are two types of market research:
Despite the terminology, you usually do secondary research first and primary research second. When analyzing your situation and opportunities, it’s essential that you look at each and every major market segment—not just the general market category, or just those segments the company presently serves. Consider ALL the segments you might be able to effectively serve. Sidestepping into related segments or markets often can be done fairly easily and inexpensively.
The case history about hand tools and contractor supply houses is just one example. For companies that are successfully serving the residential market, sidestepping into the commercial buildings market is often fairly easy and profitable. While it’s often overlooked, the commercial buildings market is huge—about 87 billion square feet as of the year 2000. What’s more, 65 percent of it is very similar to the residential market as to user wants and needs. Examples of businesses that can thrive in this market are: interior decorators, plumbers, and electricians—plus firms that provide paints, carpeting, etc.
Stay tuned for the next installment of “The 11 Most Deadly Sins in Sales & Marketing” in January.
Neil Mahoney is the founder of Mahoney/Marketing and has 30 years of experience at all levels of sales and marketing, including stints at General Electric, ITC Inc., Bausch & Lomb, and ABC Broadcasting. Visit www.mahoneymarketing.com for more information.